The Village of Oak Park | 123 Madison St.  Oak Park, IL 60302 |

Main menu


Divvy bike-sharing coming to Oak Park

Divvy, the popular bike-sharing program that rents bicycles in neighborhoods throughout Chicago, will be coming to Oak Park next year, thanks to a $3 million state grant.

Oak Park’s share of the funds will go toward installing 12 Divvy docking stations in various locations in the Village. The state-funded grant represents about 80 percent of the cost to expand Divvy into Oak Park. The other 20 percent, some $161,177, will be matched by local funding.

Divvy will be a public-private partnership between the state, the Village and the bike-share company Alta. The program aims to offer a green transportation alternative to urban residents that meshes seamlessly with other transit options.

Bike sharing fits well with Oak Park’s efforts to promote bicycling around the Village. This initiative is guided by a Bicycle Plan developed by the Transportation Commission and supported by the Village Board, community leaders and residents. An update to the study conducted this year focused on bicycle sharing and will be part of the public process to choose Oak Park’s Divvy locations.

Visit for more information about Divvy.