Eligibility and criteria for the Johnson Awards are listed below. Businesses who qualify can nominate themselves by filling out the information and providing the required documentation described below.
To be eligible for a Johnson Award, a facility can be: a Category I (High Risk) or Category II (Medium Risk Facility), examples of which include restaurants, bakeries and grocery stores.
To qualify for consideration as a Johnson Award recipient, a facility must:
- have less than 5 Priority or Priority foundation violations within the last year
- be under the operational supervision of a certified food service manager at the time of inspection
- ensure that all food handler personnel are certified food handlers
Additional consideration will be given to facilities who meet the criteria below. Nominees must submit documentation of:
- a written employee illness policy that excludes or restricts ill employee as specified in the Food Code
- paying employees a living wage, which for Cook County in 2023 is $19.23 per hour
- any policies that promote Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts