Applications for block parties are now being accepted. Some weekends fill quickly so events should be planned early to ensure preferred dates. Block party information and an application packet are posted online at www.oak-park.us/forms. Call 708.358.5700 for details.
Planning a block party? Know the rules
- Use a north-south block. Due to public safety and traffic considerations, block parties are not allowed on east-west streets.
- Make sure emergency vehicles can get through if needed. Tables, chairs or other items should not project more than six feet from the curb. And don’t park cars, stretch wires, ropes, nets, lights, banners or other items across the street.
- Supervise children at all times. Even though the street may be closed, accidents can happen.
- Do not plan a party for an alley. Alleys provide important access for utility companies and other services.
- Keep sidewalks clear. Sidewalks are public ways that may not be obstructed even during a block party.
- If alcohol is present, keep it on private property. Alcohol may not be sold.