Want to sign up for a block party this summer? The first step is to sign up for the Village Clerk’s mailing list by sending an email to email@example.com with your name, telephone number and the block you represent. Each block may schedule two block parties per year, but since some weekends fill quickly, plan early to get preferred dates.
If you're the organizer, remember these rules:
• Use a north-south block. Due to public safety and traffic considerations, block parties are not allowed on east-west streets.
• Ensure access by emergency vehicles. Tables, chairs or other items should not project more than six feet from the curb. And don’t stretch wires, ropes, nets, lights, banners or other items across the street.
• Supervise children at all times. Even though the street may be closed, accidents can happen.
• Use only street barricades provided by the Village. Cars parked in a street as a barricade may impede emergency vehicles, and could be ticketed.
• Do not plan a party for an alley. Alleys provide important access for utility companies and other services.
• Keep sidewalks clear. Sidewalks are public ways that may not be obstructed even during a block party.
• Keep alcohol on private property. Alcohol may not be sold.
For more information on the rules, call 708.358.5700 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. A block party information packet is posted online.