The annual fall leaf collection program is scheduled for Oct. 30 – Dec. 8 with six pickups planned for each section of the Village. Residents should rake leaves into the street at least 18 inches from the curb the day before the scheduled pickup dates indicated on the map. Leaves raked into the street will be pushed into piles by Public Works crews during the night to reduce impact on traffic and parked cars. The piles of leaves are then collected the following day and taken to a commercial composting site. Residents who miss a scheduled pickup date should keep their leaves on the parkway until the night before the next scheduled pickup. Sweepers will be scheduled to run at the end of the collection program to clean up residue. Cooperation is essential to the success of this operation, so please follow these simple rules:
- Consider composting or using the leaves as garden mulch as an alternative to raking.
- Rake leaves out the day before the scheduled pickup date.
- Leaves only — do not add brush, grass clippings or yard waste.
- Do not park on or near a pile of leaves, which can hinder leaf removal operations. Heat from a car also could ignite the leaves.
- Rake leaves onto side streets whenever possible. Try to avoid major thoroughfares where piles of leaves might create traffic hazards.
- Do not rake leaves into or close to cul-de-sacs or traffic diverters. The equipment needs room to operate.
- Do not rake leaves into bike lanes.
- Keep catch basins clear of raked leaves to avoid flooding.
- Inform landscape services of the leaf collection schedule.
- Obey all parking restrictions. Regulations will be strictly enforced.
- Dampen piles after raking to avoid leaves being blown by the wind.
- Drive carefully. Leaves are slippery when wet and large piles may hinder visibility. Note that crews will create safe work zones and close intersections for a few minutes while removing large leaf piles.
For more information, call 708.358.5700 or email email@example.com.