Family gatherings, colorful decorations and elaborate meals are the hallmarks of the holiday season, but the tidings of the season also can pose a risk when it comes to fire safety. That’s why the Oak Park Fire Department is launching its Keep the Wreath Green holiday safety campaign. From Nov. 24 until Jan. 1, a wreath hanging at the Central Fire Station will be adorned with green lights. For every holiday related fire in Oak Park, a bulb will be changed from green to red as a reminder of the risks. By following these simple rules, you can help the Fire Department keep the wreath green this year:
- Water your Christmas tree daily
- Check holiday lights for frayed ends
- Keep your tree at least 3 feet away from heat sources
- Never leave a lit candle unattended
- Keep close watch on your stove or oven when cooking
- Test your smoke detectors throughout your home regularly
For more information on the Oak Park Fire Department, visit www.oak-park.us/fire or email firstname.lastname@example.org.