Oak Parkers seeking to declutter, while making a few extra dollars, can host a garage sale twice each year without a permit or permission from the Village. However, a few rules must be observed:
- Limit sales to the daylight hours of no more than three consecutive days.
- Display items only within a garage, residence, carport and/or rear yard, unless it is a neighborhood sale.
- Keep advertising signs on the property where the sale is held. Take them down when the sale is over.
- Don’t put signs on public property, including light poles, sign posts or on or above public parkways or sidewalks.
- Make signs no larger than eight square feet.
Garage sales are intended for disposing of personal property, not for merchandise purchased for resale or on consignment. And keep in mind that the individual conducting the sale and the owner or tenant of the premises where the sale is being held are responsible for maintaining order and may be subject to penalty for any violations of garage sale rules.
For more information, call 708.358.5700 or email email@example.com.