The Oak Park Police Department is urging residents to take proactive steps to prevent package delivery thefts as the COVID-19 pandemic has substantially increased online shopping, a trend that is expected to continue to grow this holiday season. The increase in package thefts from porches and homes is not unique to Oak Park. Police say communities across the country are grappling with this crime of opportunity. To protect your purchases from getting swiped from your porch or foyer, Oak Park Police recommend taking the following steps:
- If you are expecting deliveries but know you won’t be home, make arrangements with friends, family or neighbors so that packages will not be left out where thieves can get them.
- Request a signature required upon delivery if you are working from home.
- Check with your online retailer about options for delivering packages to an affiliated business or secure location, such as a locker.
- Designate packages be delivered to the post office, if the option is available.
- Sign up for delivery notifications via email or through a smart phone app, being sure not to delay picking up your package when a delivery is made.
- Consider shopping locally at retailers offering curbside pick-up and delivery options with personalized service.
Officers on patrol always are on the lookout for criminal activity. Residents also may report unusual activity to the Police non-emergency number, 708.386.3800. And if you see a crime taking place, or about to take place, always call 911. More information on the Police Department is posted at www.oak-park.us/police.