The annual fall leaf collection program for 2019 is scheduled for Oct. 21 – Dec. 12 with eight pickups planned for each section of the Village. Leaves should be raked into the street at least 18 inches from the curb the day before the scheduled pickup dates indicated on the map. Leaves raked into the street are pushed into piles by Public Works crews during the night to reduce impact on traffic and parked cars. The piles of leaves are then collected the following day. Residents who miss a scheduled pickup date should keep their leaves on the parkway until the night before the next scheduled pickup. Sweepers will be scheduled to run at the end of the collection program to clean up residue. Cooperation is essential to the success of this operation, so please follow these simple rules:
- Consider composting or using the leaves as garden mulch as an alternative to raking.
- Rake leaves out the day before the scheduled pickup date — inform landscape services of the leaf collection schedule.
- Leaves only — do not add brush, grass clippings or yard waste.
- Do not park on or near a pile of leaves, which can hinder leaf removal operations — heat from a car also could cause a fire.
- Rake leaves onto side streets whenever possible, avoiding major thoroughfares where piles of leaves might create traffic hazards.
- Do not rake leaves into or close to cul de sacs or traffic diverters — the equipment needs room to operate.
- Do not rake leaves into or close to bus shelters or bicycle racks.
- Keep catch basins clear of raked leaves to avoid flooding.
- Obey all parking restrictions — regulations are strictly enforced.
- Dampen piles after raking to avoid wind-blown leaves.
- Drive carefully — wet leaves are slippery and large piles may hinder visibility.
- Watch for work zones and intersections that may be closed temporarily to remove large piles of leaves.
For more information on the program call 708.358.5700 or email email@example.com.