Getting vaccinated against the flu in November or even December is not too late. Public health officials recommend that everyone older than 6 months get vaccinated every year. Flu vaccine is offered at numerous commercial pharmacies, grocery stores and other retail sites in the Oak Park area. Most of these sites accept private insurances and Medicare Part B to help cover the cost of the flu shot. Many sites will vaccinate children as young as 18 months. Help finding a flu shot provider is available at vaccinefinder.org. Residents also can email email@example.com or call 708.358.5483 with questions about access to an affordable flu shot.
Vaccination not the only defense…In addition to getting vaccinated, individuals also can help protect themselves from the flu by following these simple actions to help prevent the spread of germs:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick, too.
- Stay home when you are sick to help prevent others from catching your illness.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash your hands often, and avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose or mouth.
- Get plenty of sleep, engage in physical activity, manage stress, drink water and eat right.