An investment of about $30 for a detector can be the difference in life and death when it comes to deadly carbon monoxide that can leak from a malfunctioning gas appliance such as a furnace or water heater. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, carbon monoxide can kill before you are aware it is in your home. That’s why state law requires homeowners and landlords to install carbon monoxide detectors within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping. Alarms can be battery powered, plug-in with battery backup or wired into the AC power line with a secondary battery backup. The alarm can be combined with a smoke detector if the unit complies with established standards and the alarm differentiates the hazard. The property owner must supply and install all required alarms. Landlords must ensure that alarms are operable on the date a lease is initiated. While tenants are responsible for testing and maintaining the alarm after the lease commences, landlords must provide written instructions. Carbon monoxide detectors are not substitutes for smoke detectors, fire officials caution, so both devices are essential. For more information, call 708.445.3300 or e-mail email@example.com.