March 18, 2020 – Oak Park Public Health Director Mike Charley announced today that a Village resident has tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus, the first positive case in the community.
The individual was screened and tested Monday at Rush Oak Park Hospital, and the positive result confirmed today.
Oak Park Public health officials were notified of the positive test as established by state and local public health protocol, according to Charley.
The individual, an adult male in his 30s, currently is recovering at home and is in isolation. He is not affiliated with the local school system.
Because of privacy laws, no additional information can be released about the individual.
The Oak Park Department of Public Health is working closely with officials from the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), investigating and notifying anyone who may have had exposure to the individual who tested positive for COVID-19.
Local public health officials, hospitals and first responders are following protocols consistent with the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Individuals who have questions or concerns about COVID-19 can contact the Illinois Department of Public Health Hotline at 1.800.889.3931.
Residents are encouraged to learn more about COVID-19 and how to protect families and the community from being exposed to the virus, including following these guidelines:
- Stay home if you are sick
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Practice social distancing – stay away from gatherings of more than 10 people
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe
More local information on the Village of Oak Park response to the COVID-19 coronavirus is posted online at www.oak-park.us/covid19.